Trekkers go to the Great wall for Chemo Appeal
Twin sisters and their friends hike across China for five days to raise money for the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal.
FOUR North Devon women have raised about �6,000 for the Chemotherapy Appeal by walking along the Great Wall of China.
Twin sisters Heather and Georgina Smoldon joined friends Felicity Reid and Nicki Bellew on the Great Wall Discovery Expedition.
The group walked for between five and seven hours a day for five days.
Heather, a radiographer at North Devon District Hospital, said: “We had such an amazing time, walking in 28 degrees across some beautiful and remote areas of the wall.
You may also want to watch:
“The terrain was very steep and challenging at times. We are all so glad we did it!”
Using the title ‘Devon Girls Trek China’, the quartet have held a variety of fundraising events during the past 18 months.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 6 Staff at Wimpy Barnstaple receive special bonus
- 7 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby receives parliamentary promotion
- 8 Dignitaries formally open Penrose Almshouses in Barnstaple
- 9 Mercy for Lynton farm shop keeper who grew cannabis
- 10 Extinction Rebellion celebrate Big Green Week in Barnstaple
They included quiz nights, coffee mornings, a summer ball, barn dance, car boot sale, race night and silent auction - they even bagged up and sold manure!
The group raised almost �10,000 in total – some �4,000 to cover the costs of the trip and just under �6,000 for the Chemotherapy Appeal.
“This was a fantastic effort by Heather, Georgina, Felicity and Nicki and we are extremely grateful for their dedication to the cause,” said appeal fund raising officer Julie Whitton.
“This money helps us move ever closer to our fundraising target of �2.2million.”
If you have a fundraising idea with a difference, call Julie on 01271 311772 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.