Travellers take up residence in Barnstaple
- Credit: Archant
More than 20 caravans plus vehicles have appeared on land next to the Tarka Tennis Centre at Seven Brethren, with the council saying they have to move on.
TRAVELLERS have set up camp on a lorry park next to the Tarka Tennis Centre in Barnstaple.
North Devon Council said it was told by police yesterday (Sunday) that up to 45 caravans were en route to the area.
“When asked where they could go, we informed them we couldn’t accommodate that number of caravans, as our toleration policy allows for a maximum of six caravans,” said Diana Hill, head of property and technical services.
“The travellers moved onto the council land at Seven Brethren with 27 caravans and other vehicles, some of which have now left.
“We have informed the travellers that, in accordance with our policy, we aren’t prepared to tolerate them on council land. As a result, we are now going down the legal process to obtain possession.”
She said in the meantime, the site was being continuously monitored.
- 1 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 2 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 3 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 4 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 5 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
- 6 Bring the children to see Santa at Chivenor Christmas Craft Market
- 7 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 8 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 9 Get dressed up to Race the Reindeer in Bideford this Christmas
- 10 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden