Travellers take up residence in Barnstaple
- Credit: Archant
More than 20 caravans plus vehicles have appeared on land next to the Tarka Tennis Centre at Seven Brethren, with the council saying they have to move on.
TRAVELLERS have set up camp on a lorry park next to the Tarka Tennis Centre in Barnstaple.
North Devon Council said it was told by police yesterday (Sunday) that up to 45 caravans were en route to the area.
“When asked where they could go, we informed them we couldn’t accommodate that number of caravans, as our toleration policy allows for a maximum of six caravans,” said Diana Hill, head of property and technical services.
“The travellers moved onto the council land at Seven Brethren with 27 caravans and other vehicles, some of which have now left.
You may also want to watch:
“We have informed the travellers that, in accordance with our policy, we aren’t prepared to tolerate them on council land. As a result, we are now going down the legal process to obtain possession.”
She said in the meantime, the site was being continuously monitored.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 9 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 10 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow