Motorsport mania returns to Barnstaple
Crowds line the streets for the second instalment of the Barnstaple Grand Prix.
THE thrills – and spills – of motorsport came to town on Sunday with the second staging of the Barnstaple Grand Prix.
Organised by Petroc and BID Barnstaple, sponsored by Silver Street Automotive, the event saw crowds pack along the Strand and North Walk to watch fiercely contested ride on lawnmower and pedal car racing to raise money for Children’s Hospice South West.
There were four races – two for the mowers, plus one for pedal cars and scooters or skateboards. The winner was the team which completed the most laps of the 600 metre circuit in one hour.
First place in the mowers went to Triple 666, with Team Eleanor second and Team Hodgetts third.
You may also want to watch:
Babcock Juniors won the senior pedal race category with Williams F1 in runner up) spot, while Braunton School won the youth class. Solo entrant Alan Goodman made the most laps during the race, while engineering and creativity awards went to Babcock Seniors and Dick Dastardly’s Do-Gooders.
An award ceremony and live music followed at the Square.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 6 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 Meet former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo in Barnstaple
- 10 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
Race co-ordinator Sam Metcalfe said there had been a real buzz in town for the day:
“All the competitors showed such determination and enthusiasm, putting on a fantastic show for the spectators,” he said.
“We are very grateful to everyone who helped make the day possible, including our partners, BID Barnstaple, together with our main sponsors Silver Street Automotive, the 999 Academy and all the dedicated volunteers.”
See more pictures at www.northdevongazette.co.uk.