SIR - The aspiring developers of the Knapps Field/marina site in Northam are being somewhat disingenuous if they think that traffic calming is the only traffic problem likely to arise from this proposed development.
The main problem lies in the fact that the only practical access for inhabitants of Northam, Appledore, and most of Westward Ho!, to the A39, Bideford, and Barnstaple is via the Heywood Road.
This road is already near saturation point for much of the time in summer and at bank holidays, most especially at peak travelling periods - which are extending because of the increased traffic.
The situation is not helped by the road also having to carry the very heavy vehicles to and from both the shipyard and the gravel company in Appledore.
Furthermore, Torridge Council is supposed to be respecting the “green buffer” separating Northam and Appledore; the main field in the development site is the last remaining contiguous green space between Churchill Way and the river.
There appears to be no obvious need for this development other than in the eyes of the developers, and surely our council should decide now that no further large scale developments should take place north of the A39 in Appledore, Westward Ho! or Northam?
Dennis Davis, Northam.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 6 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 7 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 8 Exercise the 'chuckle muscle' with comedian Jason Manford
- 9 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 10 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers