Tractor ride pulls in charity cash
THE epic tractor journey of South Molton man Bob Sampson has raised more than �5,000 for the North Devon Hospice and Cancer Research. Bob has returned unscathed from his challenge to promote North Devon as the UK s top holiday destination and raise charit
THE epic tractor journey of South Molton man Bob Sampson has raised more than �5,000 for the North Devon Hospice and Cancer Research.
Bob has returned unscathed from his challenge to promote North Devon as the UK's top holiday destination and raise charity cash by riding his vintage tractor the 930 miles from John O'Groats to Lands End in nine days.
He said: "I would do it all again. It was so much fun and in the process I raised over �5,000 for North Devon Hospice and Cancer Research and encouraged everyone I met to holiday in North Devon."
With no cab to shield him, Bob set off to John O' Groats in glorious sunshine and that was the last decent weather he saw until he returned to North Devon. "I had to resort to drying some of my clothes out on the gearbox of the tractor, but the rain failed to dampen my spirits," he said.
You may also want to watch:
Bob was piped out of John O'Groats by a local piper at the start of his journey.
When he approached Penzance he felt "humbled" when a group of Cornish tractor enthusiasts met him with their own vintage tractors and escorted him to Land's End.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 5 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 10 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online
He had a huge 'thank you' to everyone who supported him on his epic journey.
Anyone wishing to support Bob's challenge can still make a donation by logging on to www.justgiviing.com/robertsampson to find Robert Sampson's fundraising page.