Tour of Britain will not pass through North Devon
- Credit: Archant
This year’s Devon stage of the Tour of Britain will start in Exmouth and finish in Exeter this September.
THIS year’s Tour of Britain will not be passing through North Devon, it has been announced.
The Devon stage of the tour will be the fifth stage and will begin at Exmouth on Thursday, September 11, ending in Exeter.
This year it will pass along the Exe Estuary Trail, through Budleigh Salterton, Woodbury, Topsham, Exminster, Chudleigh, Bovey Tracey, Haytor, Princetown, Tavistock, Okehampton, Copplestone, and Crediton, finishing in Exeter.
The Tour last passed through North Devon in 2012 when Barnstaple hosted the start of the fifth stage, which proceeded through Bideford and Torrington.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council cabinet member for highway management, said: “Last year’s Devon Stage was a fantastic occasion and a perfect way to celebrate the tenth anniversary of The Tour.
“Record breaking crowds turned out across the county, which was a welcome boost for the local economy, and this year’s Devon Stage promises to provide another great showcase for our beautiful county as a premier destination for cycling tourism.”
You may also want to watch:
This year’s Tour of Britain will have the race’s biggest ever line-up of top tier UCI Pro Teams in the 18-team field, led by the likes of Team Sky, who won last year’s Tour with Sir Bradley Wiggins, and Spanish squad Movistar, who won both the Yodel Direct Sprints jersey and SKODA King of the Mountains jersey.
Other teams announced to be taking part are Omega Pharma– Quick-Step, BMC Racing, Tinkoff – Saxo, Cannondale, Garmin Sharp, Team Giant Shimano, and Belkin Pro Cycling.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
The full line-up of teams for The Tour of Britain will be announced in the summer.