Torrington walkers raise cash for Voluntary Service Overseas
In glorious sunshine, more than 30 walkers, including three under 10s, completed a sponsored walk of 10 or 17 miles around Torrington and raised a grand total of �1,132.50 for Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) and the Firefighters Charity. The route, inc
In glorious sunshine, more than 30 walkers, including three under 10s, completed a sponsored walk of 10 or 17 miles around Torrington and raised a grand total of �1,132.50 for Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) and the Firefighters Charity.
The route, including the Tarka Trail, Torrington Commons, a refreshment stop in Monkleigh and, for the 17 milers, Huntshaw Woods, was part of the Torridge Ramblers' Millennium Path, a map of which can be obtained from the Torrington Tourist Information Centre.
For most participants this was the first time they had walked this route and they were unanimous in their enthusiasm for the scenery, the flora, the weather and the delicious refreshments. Several plan to come back and walk the route again.
The first walkers to finish were Jamie and Guy Grain from Welling in Kent, who completed 10 miles and enjoyed well earned refreshments at The Plough Arts Centre in Torrington while their parents completed the 17-mile route.
You may also want to watch:
The walk was organised by Pete and Cathy Newman to mark Pete's retirement from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service and Cathy's new teaching job for VSO at Aksum University in Ethiopia.
Pete and Cathy will go to Ethiopia in September. This will be their second posting for VSO, having previously worked for two years in Belize in Central America.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 3 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 4 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 5 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 7 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 8 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone