Torrington walkers raise cash for Voluntary Service Overseas
In glorious sunshine, more than 30 walkers, including three under 10s, completed a sponsored walk of 10 or 17 miles around Torrington and raised a grand total of �1,132.50 for Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) and the Firefighters Charity. The route, inc
In glorious sunshine, more than 30 walkers, including three under 10s, completed a sponsored walk of 10 or 17 miles around Torrington and raised a grand total of �1,132.50 for Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) and the Firefighters Charity.
The route, including the Tarka Trail, Torrington Commons, a refreshment stop in Monkleigh and, for the 17 milers, Huntshaw Woods, was part of the Torridge Ramblers' Millennium Path, a map of which can be obtained from the Torrington Tourist Information Centre.
For most participants this was the first time they had walked this route and they were unanimous in their enthusiasm for the scenery, the flora, the weather and the delicious refreshments. Several plan to come back and walk the route again.
The first walkers to finish were Jamie and Guy Grain from Welling in Kent, who completed 10 miles and enjoyed well earned refreshments at The Plough Arts Centre in Torrington while their parents completed the 17-mile route.
The walk was organised by Pete and Cathy Newman to mark Pete's retirement from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service and Cathy's new teaching job for VSO at Aksum University in Ethiopia.
Pete and Cathy will go to Ethiopia in September. This will be their second posting for VSO, having previously worked for two years in Belize in Central America.
- 1 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 2 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 3 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 4 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 5 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 6 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 7 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 8 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
- 9 North Devon MP encourages community to go 'one step greener'
- 10 RGB's North Devon branches helping others this Christmas