Torrington to set up food bank for the needy
TORRINGTON is setting up a food bank to help people in need in difficult times.
Initiated by the local Baptist Church, all the local churches are behind the project, which is accepting donations of non-perishable food from supermarkets and from the general public to be packed into food parcels.
The Great Torrington Foodbank is being launched in the town square from 10am-1pm on Saturday, November 19.
Mayor of Torrington Richard Rumbold is one of those involved in setting up the scheme.
He said: “Through no fault of their own, some people are struggling to put food on the table and this scheme would give assistance. The foodbank works by accepting donations of non-perishable goods,which are then packed into emergency food parcels. Frontline professional care agencies will hold special vouchers to give people in need, which can be exchanged for three days supply of food.
You may also want to watch:
“We are fortunate the Baptist Church has a storage facility which will enable people in need to bring their vouchers to the church at a designated time to collect food, have a tea or coffee and see a friendly face.
“We are looking for more volunteers to help for a couple of hours a week to sort and pack parcels or perhaps make drinks. Food donations may be left at Panamart, opposite Sydney House Car park, who have kindly agreed to act as a drop-off point The committee will be pleased to answer any questions, so please come along and meet them on Nov 19 or telephone me on (01805) 625662 to see if you can help.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 5 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 9 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021