Torrington to celebrate pannier market anniversary
AN event is being held in Great Torrington later this month to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the refurbishment of the town s Pannier Market. It was given a new roof in 1999 as part of the work co-ordinated by the Great Torrington and District Communi
AN event is being held in Great Torrington later this month to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the refurbishment of the town's Pannier Market.
It was given a new roof in 1999 as part of the work co-ordinated by the Great Torrington and District Community Development Trust.
The work was paid for by Torridge District Council, the Rural Development Commission, English Partnerships, the Manifold Trust and European Rural Development Fund.
The building, which houses a number of small businesses, is managed by Genesis Ltd.
You may also want to watch:
On Wednesday, August 26, the Mayor of Torrington will cut a birthday cake and pick the winner of a quiz, sheets for which may be bought from any of the units in the market, The Tourist Information Centre, or shops in the town at 50p each.
Celebrations will include an Arts in the Market event with displays of craftwork and a potter's wheel in operation.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 4 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 5 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 6 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 7 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 8 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 9 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 10 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
Other highlights will be a display by Great Torrington Museum, tombola and there will be music throughout the day.
The Pannier Market building was constructed originally in 1842. The refurbishments of 10 years ago have given it a new lease of life.