Torrington to celebrate pannier market anniversary
AN event is being held in Great Torrington later this month to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the refurbishment of the town s Pannier Market. It was given a new roof in 1999 as part of the work co-ordinated by the Great Torrington and District Communi
AN event is being held in Great Torrington later this month to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the refurbishment of the town's Pannier Market.
It was given a new roof in 1999 as part of the work co-ordinated by the Great Torrington and District Community Development Trust.
The work was paid for by Torridge District Council, the Rural Development Commission, English Partnerships, the Manifold Trust and European Rural Development Fund.
The building, which houses a number of small businesses, is managed by Genesis Ltd.
You may also want to watch:
On Wednesday, August 26, the Mayor of Torrington will cut a birthday cake and pick the winner of a quiz, sheets for which may be bought from any of the units in the market, The Tourist Information Centre, or shops in the town at 50p each.
Celebrations will include an Arts in the Market event with displays of craftwork and a potter's wheel in operation.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 3 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 4 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 5 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 6 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 7 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 10 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
Other highlights will be a display by Great Torrington Museum, tombola and there will be music throughout the day.
The Pannier Market building was constructed originally in 1842. The refurbishments of 10 years ago have given it a new lease of life.