Torrington to celebrate pannier market anniversary
AN event is being held in Great Torrington later this month to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the refurbishment of the town s Pannier Market. It was given a new roof in 1999 as part of the work co-ordinated by the Great Torrington and District Communi
AN event is being held in Great Torrington later this month to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the refurbishment of the town's Pannier Market.
It was given a new roof in 1999 as part of the work co-ordinated by the Great Torrington and District Community Development Trust.
The work was paid for by Torridge District Council, the Rural Development Commission, English Partnerships, the Manifold Trust and European Rural Development Fund.
The building, which houses a number of small businesses, is managed by Genesis Ltd.
You may also want to watch:
On Wednesday, August 26, the Mayor of Torrington will cut a birthday cake and pick the winner of a quiz, sheets for which may be bought from any of the units in the market, The Tourist Information Centre, or shops in the town at 50p each.
Celebrations will include an Arts in the Market event with displays of craftwork and a potter's wheel in operation.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 3 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 4 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 5 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 8 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 9 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
Other highlights will be a display by Great Torrington Museum, tombola and there will be music throughout the day.
The Pannier Market building was constructed originally in 1842. The refurbishments of 10 years ago have given it a new lease of life.