Torrington Red Cross shop reopens
THE British Red Cross will launch its newly refurbished charity shop in Torrington.
The shop at 5 Fore Street, was officially reopened to the public by long-standing volunteer, Grace Withey, aged 84, joined by Mayoress and Red Cross volunteer Sue Mills and retail field manager for Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Channel Islands, Teresa Patton.
“The Red Cross shop has a great history in Torrington due to the dedication and commitment of our volunteers and the ongoing support from the local community,” said shop manager Diane Burt.
“The store exists entirely on donations from the public but the shop itself has had very little attention in more than 15 years. This refurbishment will provide an improved environment for our volunteers to work in and a much more pleasant shopping experience for our customers.”
Potential new volunteers are very welcome to pop in to the shop and talk to staff about how they might help or get involved.
You may also want to watch:
The charity shop relies on donations from members of the public in order to raise valuable funds to help vulnerable people in crisis in the UK and abroad.
Clothing, discarded gifts, housewares, books and DVDs can all be converted into income. The shop also accepts second-hand textiles such as linen or curtains. if in good condition, they can be sold in the shop or if no longer useable, sold to textile merchants to raise funds.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Northam Murder: Expert says trail of clues link carer to the scene
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton
Anyone interested in becoming a volunteer can contact Diane Burt on (01805) 625051.