Torrington Red Cross shop reopens
THE British Red Cross will launch its newly refurbished charity shop in Torrington.
The shop at 5 Fore Street, was officially reopened to the public by long-standing volunteer, Grace Withey, aged 84, joined by Mayoress and Red Cross volunteer Sue Mills and retail field manager for Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Channel Islands, Teresa Patton.
“The Red Cross shop has a great history in Torrington due to the dedication and commitment of our volunteers and the ongoing support from the local community,” said shop manager Diane Burt.
“The store exists entirely on donations from the public but the shop itself has had very little attention in more than 15 years. This refurbishment will provide an improved environment for our volunteers to work in and a much more pleasant shopping experience for our customers.”
Potential new volunteers are very welcome to pop in to the shop and talk to staff about how they might help or get involved.
You may also want to watch:
The charity shop relies on donations from members of the public in order to raise valuable funds to help vulnerable people in crisis in the UK and abroad.
Clothing, discarded gifts, housewares, books and DVDs can all be converted into income. The shop also accepts second-hand textiles such as linen or curtains. if in good condition, they can be sold in the shop or if no longer useable, sold to textile merchants to raise funds.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 8 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 9 Selaine Saxby's Henry to compete for Westminster Dog of the Year
- 10 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
Anyone interested in becoming a volunteer can contact Diane Burt on (01805) 625051.