Torrington procession to mark Civil War
FLAMING torches will flicker through the streets, muskets will sound and fireworks will fill the sky on February 13 as Torrington once again celebrates the anniversary of its Civil War battle with a commemorative march through the town. Great Torrington a
FLAMING torches will flicker through the streets, muskets will sound and fireworks will fill the sky on February 13 as Torrington once again celebrates the anniversary of its Civil War battle with a commemorative march through the town.
Great Torrington and District Community Development Trust and the Great Torrington Cavaliers will jointly provide the spectacle to mark the 1646 battle, the last major battle of the English Civil war, involving approximately 17,000 men and fought at night within the streets of the town itself.
The torchlit procession will be through the very streets where the battle took place and a wreath will be laid in the churchyard on the mass grave of those who died when the church was blown up.
Timetable for the day: 14:00, musket competition at 1646, weather permitting; 18.30, marchers meet at Great Torrington School; 19.00, musket volley and march leaves Great Torrington School; 19:20, musket volley, wreath laying and proclamation in town square; 19:45, musketry and fireworks in South Street car park.
You may also want to watch:
For more information please contact Master Jake at Torrington 1646 on (01805) 626146 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 3 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 4 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 5 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 6 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 7 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
- 8 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Grand National: ones to watch in 'race that stops a nation'