Torrington play with message about conmen
A special play is coming to Torrington next week to teach audiences how to avoid conmen. Devon County Council s Trading Standards Service, with Devon and Cornwall Police are hosting theatre performances at Plough Arts Centre in Torrington next Friday (Oc
A special play is coming to Torrington next week to teach audiences how to avoid conmen.
Devon County Council's Trading Standards Service, with Devon and Cornwall Police are hosting theatre performances at Plough Arts Centre in Torrington next Friday (October 1)
The musical, which is based on actual events, will raise awareness about misleading postal draws, and lotteries and offer advice on how to deal with unscrupulous traders offering services for badly done and overpriced work.
There will also be advice and tips on how to avoid becoming the victim of distraction burglary where conmen, often posing as officials, try to get access to elderly people's homes to steal money and possessions.
You may also want to watch:
The audience will meet Sydney the victim of a rogue Tarmac Tradesman and Mary who believes she has won a 'Holiday of a Lifetime'. The show has been developed by the Solomon Theatre Company in conjunction with Trading Standards, Police and Community Safety Officers.
Councillor Roger Croad, Cabinet Member for Environmental and Regulatory Servuces said: "By presenting information through performance and involving the audience in a sing-a-long, the important message about how to avoid becoming a victim of scams and distraction burglary is put across in an entertaining and memorable way".
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 3 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 6 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 7 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
The free performances will take place at 10.30am and 2pm. Doors will open 30 minutes before the performances start.
The theatre cafe will also be open and there will be an opportunity to meet and chat to officers from Trading Standards and the Police.
For further information please call Devon Trading Standards on 01392 381381 or email email@example.com