Torrington May Queen and entourage is chosen
- Credit: Archant
Torrington Mayfair has announced its May Queen and entourage for this year.
Great Torrington Bluecoat pupil Amelia Batten, 11, was voted as this year’s Torrington May Queen, with runner-up Paige MacDonald-Bale, 10, voted as crower.
Freddie North, 11, and Albie Smithson, 10, were selected as heralds and the attendants were Evie Hill, seven; Calypso Smithson, eight; Lily Beer, eight; Amber Schofield, eight; Ellie Cooke, seven; Lilie Barber, seven; Allannah McConnachie, eight; and Poppy Fry, eight.
Amelia was selected to be an attendant back in 2015 but ill health sadly meant that she missed out on the whole occasion so it seemed rather fitting that she be voted as May Queen this year.
Crowner Paige was also an attendant in 2015 and Lilie, attendant, will be following in her sister Lola’s footsteps as she was an attendant last year.
You may also want to watch:
Unusually, and quite possibly a first in Mayfair history, siblings Calypso and Albie were both selected for the entourage this year as attendant and herald.
There is a long Mayfair history in the family with mother Jennie being an attendant in 1984, while her sister-in-law Amanda was May Queen that year.
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 4 Why it‘s important to shop local in North Devon post-lockdown
- 5 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 6 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 7 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 8 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 9 Invitations to join this summer’s Devon Climate Assembly sent to households
- 10 North Devon Tesco stores to hold extra summer Food Collection
Jennie went on to become May Queen in 1987 and Archie, brother of Calypso and Albie, was a Herald in 2010.
With the initial shock and excitement slowly passing, the newly appointed entourage are now absorbed in the preparations for Mayfair 2018.
Rehearsals are well underway as the sound of the floral dance rings around the school accompanied by the tapping of dancing feet.
Angela Fleming, headteacher, said: “I am delighted that the 2018 May Queen and her entourage have been chosen.
“The Torrington Mayfair celebrations are very special to our community and our children are very proud to play their part.
“The whole school is absolutely thrilled for Amelia and her entourage and we are very much looking forward to this special day.”
Torrington’s carnival queen and attendants have also been chosen.
Carnival Queen will be Great Torrington School pupil Megan Cole, with attendants Sian Tetley and Lauren Standen.
May Fair will be on Thursday, May 3, with the carnival on Saturday, May 5.