PICTURES: ‘Elton John’ drops in at Torrington May Fair
- Credit: Archant
Crowds turned out to enjoy the annual Torrington May Fair celebrations today (Thursday, May 2).
And even ‘Elton John’ turned out for the occassion - in the form of a vibrant tribute act by Torrington Cavaliers.
May Queen Frankie Potts took her seat on the throne as she was crowned by Jemima Mitchell.
She was attended by: Martha Heal, Dotty Scoynes, Kensi Johnstone, Libby Childs, Millie Watson, Faye Thorne, Willow Parkhouse and Alisha Bradley.
Sidney Hill and Billy Williams-Rice took the role of heralds.
You may also want to watch:
As well as may pole dancing and the official crowning, there was a wealth of other entertainment throughout the day.
The celebrations began with an open air service at 9.45am in the Square.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 3 North Devon Tesco stores to hold extra summer Food Collection
- 4 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 5 Why it‘s important to shop local in North Devon post-lockdown
- 6 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 7 Invitations to join this summer’s Devon Climate Assembly sent to households
- 8 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 9 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 10 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
There was floral dancing for all and an amusing performance from Bruce Airhead.
This was followed by the Elton John tribute, and then the reading of the May Fair proclamation.
After the crowning, the celebrations continued through the afternoon.
The Torridge Cup Final will be held tonight at 7.30pm in Vicarage Field, and tomorrow (Friday, May 3) sees the Round The Tree Race, starting at 6.45pm in the Square.
On Saturday will be the town’s carnival, which will assemble at 5pm for the procession at 6.15pm.Bands will then play in the Square.
Scroll down for more photos from today’s May Fair.