Torrington leper parade
LEPERS walked again in Torrington on Saturday night in a unique event looking back 700 years to when the town had its own leper colony. The torchlight parade saw participants dressed in leper-style clothing and with spots and sores specially applied. It h
LEPERS walked again in Torrington on Saturday night in a unique event looking back 700 years to when the town had its own leper colony.
The torchlight parade saw participants dressed in leper-style clothing and with spots and sores specially applied.
It harked back to the days when lepers inhabited their own colony at Taddiport on the outskirts of the town and included a visit to the chapel of St Mary Magdalene, which was a leper hospital in the 14th century.
Participants not only paraded, but enjoyed a beggars' banquet and the music of local bands and DJs.
You may also want to watch:
Local businesses provided food and drink in support of the festival, which raised �188 for the leprosy relief charity Lepra.
Local artist Shan Miller, who organised the event, said: "Our ninth annual leper festival was a great success. We have big plans for our tenth event. We aim to raise as much money as possible for the relief of leprosy and ask that any possible sponsors get in touch on 01805 624384."
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 3 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 6 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 7 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 8 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
n Leper parade pictures by Guy Harrop.