Torrington gears up for May Fair
- Credit: Archant
View a full list of road closures and find out what will be happening in this year’s May Fair.
TORRINGTON is gearing up for its annual May Fair on Thursday with the traditional crowning of the May Queen.
Rehearsals for the main event will take place on Wednesday evening and at 6.45pm, carnival queen Georgie Towersey-Veal will be crowned.
On Thursday, the events will kick off at 8.45am with the Torrington Silver Band marching around the town.
The town square will feature a host of entertainment from the Torrington Cavaliers, Streetz dance group, songs from the cast of ‘A Night At The Musicals’ and more.
At 12pm, the proclamation of May Fair will be read out, followed by the crowning of this years May Queen, Emily Tyrrell, by crowner Evie West.
On Friday, Torrington Athletics Club will host the annual Round the Tree race from 7pm.
- 1 OPINION: A new plan for Barnstaple's Oliver Buildings - Tim Jones
- 2 PICTURES: Bideford Christmas lights switched on in style
- 3 Property of the Week: Daddon Close, Bideford
- 4 Litter around North Devon schools and colleges is a 'disgrace'
- 5 Kenwith Castle care home welcomes new manager
- 6 OPINION: How much do you know about the ground beneath your feet?
- 7 Downing Street party video: Boris Johnson apologises but denies allegations
- 8 North Devon’s Panto sells 10,000 Cinderella tickets
- 9 OPINION: Give back this festive season at the Wave Project Christmas markets
- 10 Christmas lights, free parking and late night shopping in Barnstaple
The week of events will culminate on Saturday with the carnival, kicking off from the old bowling green at 6.15pm.
“It’s going to be a fantastic event once again, and let’s hope we have some good weather,” said Melissa Baker, secretary of the Great Torrington Mayfair & Carnival Committee
A number of road closures will be in place throughout the week as follows:
Wednesday, May 1 – May Fair rehearsals
Fore Street, High Street and the Square closed 5.30pm until 7.30pm
Thursday, May 2 – May Fair
High Street, the Square, Fore Street, Higher Well Street, Potacre Street, Cornmarket Street, South Street (from the Square to South Street car park) closed 7am until 5pm.
Friday, May 3 – Round the Tree Race
High Street, the Square, Fore Street, South Street (from the Square to South Street car park), Potacre Street, Cornmarket Street, Higher Well Street closed 6pm until 9pm.
Saturday, May 4 – Carnival
New Street, Calf Street, East Street, Well Street, Fore Street, High Street, the Square, South Street, Halsdon Road closed from 6.15pm until 8pm.