Torrington gears up for May Fair
- Credit: Archant
View a full list of road closures and find out what will be happening in this year’s May Fair.
TORRINGTON is gearing up for its annual May Fair on Thursday with the traditional crowning of the May Queen.
Rehearsals for the main event will take place on Wednesday evening and at 6.45pm, carnival queen Georgie Towersey-Veal will be crowned.
On Thursday, the events will kick off at 8.45am with the Torrington Silver Band marching around the town.
The town square will feature a host of entertainment from the Torrington Cavaliers, Streetz dance group, songs from the cast of ‘A Night At The Musicals’ and more.
You may also want to watch:
At 12pm, the proclamation of May Fair will be read out, followed by the crowning of this years May Queen, Emily Tyrrell, by crowner Evie West.
On Friday, Torrington Athletics Club will host the annual Round the Tree race from 7pm.
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
The week of events will culminate on Saturday with the carnival, kicking off from the old bowling green at 6.15pm.
“It’s going to be a fantastic event once again, and let’s hope we have some good weather,” said Melissa Baker, secretary of the Great Torrington Mayfair & Carnival Committee
A number of road closures will be in place throughout the week as follows:
Wednesday, May 1 – May Fair rehearsals
Fore Street, High Street and the Square closed 5.30pm until 7.30pm
Thursday, May 2 – May Fair
High Street, the Square, Fore Street, Higher Well Street, Potacre Street, Cornmarket Street, South Street (from the Square to South Street car park) closed 7am until 5pm.
Friday, May 3 – Round the Tree Race
High Street, the Square, Fore Street, South Street (from the Square to South Street car park), Potacre Street, Cornmarket Street, Higher Well Street closed 6pm until 9pm.
Saturday, May 4 – Carnival
New Street, Calf Street, East Street, Well Street, Fore Street, High Street, the Square, South Street, Halsdon Road closed from 6.15pm until 8pm.