Torrington bonfire takes shape
TORRINGTON S latest bonfire spectacular is now just a year away. An ancient castle is starting to take shape on Torrington Commons. A year from now it will be complete, a towering structure that will be put to the torch by Torrington Cavaliers on August B
TORRINGTON'S latest bonfire spectacular is now just a year away.
An ancient castle is starting to take shape on Torrington Commons. A year from now it will be complete, a towering structure that will be put to the torch by Torrington Cavaliers on August Bank Holiday 2010.
The replica of the Great Torrington Medieval Castle will mark the 40th anniversary of a series of spectacular and world renowned bonfires by the Cavaliers, which have entertained countless people and raised more than �250,000 for local charities.
Cavalier members are now working at the site most weekends and spokesman Chris Stacey said they would welcome people coming along to see the work in progress and speak with the Cavaliers about the plans.
Anyone who could provide more wooden pallets, which are a mainstay of the bonfire, would be especially welcome, he said.
But he appealed for people not to use the bonfire as a dumping site.
- 1 Two vehicle crash blocks Link Road near Barnstaple
- 2 7 Ways to work on North Devon's beaches in 2022 - Stephanie Conway
- 3 OPINION: An introduction from Torridge council leader Ken James
- 4 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 5 Devon's special educational needs funding ‘broken’
- 6 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 7 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 8 Snell returns to inspire comfortable win for Bideford
- 9 Holiday firm's New Year gift for hospice
- 10 Nature conservation work in Fremington requires volunteers
"We would ask that people make arrangements with us first. We are trying to keep the area clean and tidy," he said. "Those visiting the site will be able to find out more about the project and, if they wish, buy bonfire draw tickets or purchase special commemorative T-shirts."
In addition to the bonfire the Cavaliers are also planning next year to launch a book to commemorate 40 years of the Great Torrington Cavaliers.