Torridge warns of bogus callers
Officers at Torridge District Council are warning the public about callers posing as council staff offering reimbursements of overpaid council tax. The bogus caller explains that local government departments are currently reviewing council tax bandings
Officers at Torridge District Council are warning the public about callers posing as council staff offering reimbursements of overpaid council tax.
The bogus caller explains that local government departments are currently reviewing council tax bandings and that an overpayment has been made by the resident and they are due a refund. The caller then requests bank account information promising that money will be reimbursed into their account.
James Morrish, Leader of Torridge District Council, said: "Please don't be persuaded to provide or confirm any personal details to unsolicited callers. If presented with your bank or credit card details by the caller, contact your bank or credit provider immediately.
"If you suspect a call is a hoax please report it so that they can be investigated. Torridge District Council staff would never call a resident and ask for bank account information in a situation such as this."
You may also want to watch:
Consumers who have been misled by any caller in this way should contact Consumer Direct on 08454 040506.
- 1 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 4 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 5 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 9 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021