Torridge warns of bogus callers
Officers at Torridge District Council are warning the public about callers posing as council staff offering reimbursements of overpaid council tax. The bogus caller explains that local government departments are currently reviewing council tax bandings
Officers at Torridge District Council are warning the public about callers posing as council staff offering reimbursements of overpaid council tax.
The bogus caller explains that local government departments are currently reviewing council tax bandings and that an overpayment has been made by the resident and they are due a refund. The caller then requests bank account information promising that money will be reimbursed into their account.
James Morrish, Leader of Torridge District Council, said: "Please don't be persuaded to provide or confirm any personal details to unsolicited callers. If presented with your bank or credit card details by the caller, contact your bank or credit provider immediately.
"If you suspect a call is a hoax please report it so that they can be investigated. Torridge District Council staff would never call a resident and ask for bank account information in a situation such as this."
You may also want to watch:
Consumers who have been misled by any caller in this way should contact Consumer Direct on 08454 040506.
- 1 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 4 Fashion store opened by North Devon Against Domestic Abuse
- 5 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 6 Coronavirus infection rate for North Devon is zero - no cases in a week
- 7 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 8 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 9 Have your say on the future of North Devon phone boxes
- 10 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton