Torridge warns of bogus callers
Officers at Torridge District Council are warning the public about callers posing as council staff offering reimbursements of overpaid council tax. The bogus caller explains that local government departments are currently reviewing council tax bandings
Officers at Torridge District Council are warning the public about callers posing as council staff offering reimbursements of overpaid council tax.
The bogus caller explains that local government departments are currently reviewing council tax bandings and that an overpayment has been made by the resident and they are due a refund. The caller then requests bank account information promising that money will be reimbursed into their account.
James Morrish, Leader of Torridge District Council, said: "Please don't be persuaded to provide or confirm any personal details to unsolicited callers. If presented with your bank or credit card details by the caller, contact your bank or credit provider immediately.
"If you suspect a call is a hoax please report it so that they can be investigated. Torridge District Council staff would never call a resident and ask for bank account information in a situation such as this."
You may also want to watch:
Consumers who have been misled by any caller in this way should contact Consumer Direct on 08454 040506.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Covid-19 measures in Devon care homes to continue