Torridge shortlisted for national award
TORRIDGE District Council is one of only eight councils nationwide and the only one in Devon to be shortlisted in the Most Improved Council of the Year category of the Local Government Chronicle’s annual awards.
This award allows councils, regardless of size or type, to demonstrate how they are striving for excellence and achieving a significant and measured year-on-year improvement. Winners have to demonstrate their progress through service improvements that are recognised by the public.
Each category has a panel of judges, which typically includes chief executives of high performing councils, specialists in their field and a representative nominated by the sponsor of the category, in this case Agilisys.
Council leader Cllr James Morrish, said: “We have come a long way since the days of being bottom of the pile. We have a great team of councillors and officers who are second to none! I am so very proud to be the leader of TDC and whether we win the award or not it’s been a fantastic journey to achieve so much over the last three-and-a-half years. That said, we are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and we will continue to work hard for our businesses and residents - if you reach for the moon you may well get to the stars!”
Torridge is up against some stiff opposition, including several unitary councils. Also listed in its category are Cornwall Council, Harrow LBC, Lincolnshire CC, London Development Agency, North East Derbyshire DC, Oldham Council and Surrey CC.
You may also want to watch:
A panel of judges will be visiting Torridge this month to see for themselves how well it is performing, before the winner is chosen and an awards evening held in London on March 23.
Teignbridge District Council, with whom Torridge shares a chief executive, has also been shortlisted for an award in the Council of the Year category.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 6 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 7 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 10 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
For more information go to www.lgcawards.co.uk