Torridge shortlisted for national award
TORRIDGE District Council is one of only eight councils nationwide and the only one in Devon to be shortlisted in the Most Improved Council of the Year category of the Local Government Chronicle’s annual awards.
This award allows councils, regardless of size or type, to demonstrate how they are striving for excellence and achieving a significant and measured year-on-year improvement. Winners have to demonstrate their progress through service improvements that are recognised by the public.
Each category has a panel of judges, which typically includes chief executives of high performing councils, specialists in their field and a representative nominated by the sponsor of the category, in this case Agilisys.
Council leader Cllr James Morrish, said: “We have come a long way since the days of being bottom of the pile. We have a great team of councillors and officers who are second to none! I am so very proud to be the leader of TDC and whether we win the award or not it’s been a fantastic journey to achieve so much over the last three-and-a-half years. That said, we are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and we will continue to work hard for our businesses and residents - if you reach for the moon you may well get to the stars!”
Torridge is up against some stiff opposition, including several unitary councils. Also listed in its category are Cornwall Council, Harrow LBC, Lincolnshire CC, London Development Agency, North East Derbyshire DC, Oldham Council and Surrey CC.
You may also want to watch:
A panel of judges will be visiting Torridge this month to see for themselves how well it is performing, before the winner is chosen and an awards evening held in London on March 23.
Teignbridge District Council, with whom Torridge shares a chief executive, has also been shortlisted for an award in the Council of the Year category.
- 1 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 2 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 3 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 4 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 10 Affinity Devon seeks next Charity of the Year
For more information go to www.lgcawards.co.uk