Torridge sends out wrong council tax bills
- Credit: Getty Images/Hemera
Council apologises and moves to fix error after some householders asked to pay more than they should.
TORRIDGE District Council has announced that some of council tax bills sent out to local households this week have contained the wrong figures.
The council said amounts differ between different parishes but in the majority of cases, people have received annual bills which are £2 to £5 in total more for this year than they should be.
It said the problem had regrettably arisen as a result of the element stated to be payable to some parish councils being too high, and the percentage increase figures showing a larger increase than was actually the case.
“On behalf of Torridge District Council I would like to sincerely apologise for any confusion or concern that this may cause,” said leader Barry Parsons.
You may also want to watch:
“I wish to re-assure the public the council is acting as quickly as possible to rectify the error.”
Head of Paid Service Jenny Wallace added: “I will be ensuring there is a full internal investigation into how this happened but our immediate priority is to make sure the correct bills are issued.”
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
Steps are now being taken to re-issue the bills as soon as possible with the correct lower amounts.
Residents can continue to make payments in the normal way if they so choose and these will be held on account.
Once new bills have been issued, any future payments will be adjusted downwards so the correct total amount is paid over the course of the year.
Residents also have the option of stopping their payments until the new bills are issued. Please inform the council if you would like to do this by Tuesday of next week (March 26). Call 01237 428900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
However, the total annual amount will still need to be paid by March 31, 2014 and so future payments may be higher.
Residents living in the following parishes have no need to do anything as these bills are correct: Abbots Bickington, Bradford and Cookbury, Bulkworthy, Clawton, Dowland, Hollacombe, Huish, Monkleigh, Newton St Petrock, Virginstow, Lundy.