Torridge MP welcomes public sector co-op suggestion
PUBLIC sector workers in Torridge and West Devon could become their own bosses and deliver better services under new Conservative plans, claims Geoffrey Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon.. Under the proposals announced last wek, public sector workers
PUBLIC sector workers in Torridge and West Devon could become their own bosses and deliver better services under new Conservative plans, claims Geoffrey Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon..
Under the proposals announced last wek, public sector workers would have a powerful new right to form employee-owned co-operatives to take over the services they deliver.
This would empower thousands of public sector workers across Devon, said the MP, who added that he was particularly pleased because it would mean that local services could be better designed for the needs of rural communities.
The new right to form employee-owned co-operatives would apply throughout the vast majority of the public sector - including Job Centre Plus offices, community nursing teams and primary schools. Employee-owned co-operatives would continue to be funded by the state so long as they met national standards, but would be freed from centralised bureaucracy and political micro-management, Mr Cox said.
You may also want to watch:
They would be voluntary sector, not-for-profit organisations; any financial surpluses would be reinvested into the service and the staff who work there, rather than distributed to external shareholders.
Mr Cox said: "Public sector workers should have the chance to become their own boss. Employee-owned co-operatives can help cut waste and deliver better services for everyone in Torridge and West Devon. It will give the initiative to those working in local jobcentres for example to take steps better to tailor their services to the needs of our communities here.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 3 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 6 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 7 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington