Torridge MP meets police chiefs
GEOFFREY Cox, MP for Torridge & West Devon, met North Devon police chiefs Superintendent Kevin Harris and Inspector Shaun Kenneally to discuss the general policing situation in Torridge and areas of specific concern in local communities. The MP was keen
GEOFFREY Cox, MP for Torridge & West Devon, met North Devon police chiefs Superintendent Kevin Harris and Inspector Shaun Kenneally to discuss the general policing situation in Torridge and areas of specific concern in local communities.
The MP was keen to discuss issues that had been brought to his attention by constituents, such as, drugs, anti-social behaviour, speeding in villages, licensing, and the number of officers and PCSOs 'on the beat" in rural communities.
Superintendent Harris assured Mr Cox that improvements had been made in the area, including a 15 per cent reduction in crime victims, and an 89 per cent satisfaction rate across the whole region..
The MP particularly raised the warning of the Chief Constable, Steven Otter, that the future contraction of public spending would almost certainly mean a loss of police manpower and urged the Torridge Police Chiefs to resist a disproportionate loss in Torridge's rural communities and market towns.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cox said: "This meeting has been extremely useful in that it allowed me to discuss face to face with the police the concerns of my constituents. I am pleased that things seem to be improving in Torridge and that the police are working hard with the community to tackle persistent problems.
He continued: "I believe that what constituents want most are bobbies on the beat, they want to see a Police presence, which is why I shall continue to push for that and for the government not to see Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) as a replacement for the Police. I believe that PCSOs do an excellent job as a supportive presence for Police. However, there is no getting away from the fact that people want to see beat officers visibly on patrol who have full powers to act when needed".
- 1 Two vehicle crash near South Molton – Link Road blocked
- 2 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 3 'Smash and grab' robbery at Ilfracombe jewellers shop
- 4 Swimbridge Christmas Arts and Crafts Fair returns for 2021
- 5 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 8 Cook book to help in Afghanistan produced in South Molton
- 9 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 10 Two burglaries in Barnstaple - Police appeal