Torridge fund-raisers' wheelie good deed
A group from Torridge District Council s Waste Management Team has raised more than �1,000 in aid of children s cancer charity CLIC Sargent by doing a sponsored push of Wheelie Bins along the Tarka Trail. Fourteen walkers organised by Peter Catton, from
A group from Torridge District Council's Waste Management Team has raised more than �1,000 in aid of children's cancer charity CLIC Sargent by doing a sponsored push of Wheelie Bins along the Tarka Trail.
Fourteen walkers organised by Peter Catton, from Torrington's Waste Management Team, and supported by council chairman Mrs Margaret Brown and head of operational services ricky McCormack, set off from Torrington Square all pushing their Wheelie Bins, bound for the council's Riverbank House Offices in Bideford.
And several hours and a few blisters later - they made it!
Peter Catton said: "Everyone involved in the project was fantastic in helping out, sponsoring us and offering support. My local councillor Andrew Saywell, other councillors, my colleagues who completed the walk, local businesses, shopkeepers and members of the public - I just can't thank them all enough."
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Saywell added: "We were delighted to hear that Peter was doing this and had no hesitation in supporting him in raising much needed funding for the charity. I think it's fantastic that so much was raised."
Mike Clift, chairman of the North Devon branch of CLIC Sargent said: "I want to say a huge thank you to the Waste Management Team at Torridge District Council and especially to Peter for choosing to support CLIC Sargent with this innovative fund-raiser. Every day in the UK, 10 families are told the devastating news their child has cancer. All the �1002.72 they have raised will help CLIC Sargent continue to provide vital support for children and their families in North Devon, and across the UK.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 5 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 6 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 7 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash