Torridge elects a new Leader
Conservatives take top two posts on Torridge district council
TORRIDGE District Councilat its AGM last night (Monday) elected Conservative Councillor Barry Parsons as its new Leader. Conservative Councillor Roger Johnson was appointed deputy leader.
Mr Parsons has been a Torridge District Councillor since 2007 as the ward member for Forest and was also elected as the Devon County Council representative for Holsworthy Rural in 2009.
He said said: “It is an honour and a pleasure to have been elected as Leader of Torridge District Council and I will make a commitment to the people of Torridge that this council will not be seen as distant and Torridge will be increasingly engaging with its communities. The council, as a matter or courtesy and respect for others, will listen and respond and will be member-led in all its decisions.
“I am excited to be part of moving things forward and am very grateful to those who have supported me over the last four years.
You may also want to watch:
“The ever increasing demands on local government will continue to present challenges and we have circumstances that we have not seen before. However, with the continued support of councillors and officers and with collaborative working with partners such as Teignbridge District Council, North Devon Council and Devon County Council, I would like to see us think more-so out of the box and respond to challenges with enterprising solutions. Torridge is most certainly open for business.”
Cllr Andrew Eastman was elected chairman of the council and Tony Inch vice-chairman.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened