Torridge backs Walk to School Week initiative
NEXT week is Walk to School Week and Torridge District Council is urging parents and children in the area to take part. Councillor Rose Lock, Lead member for health and leisure, said: It is already established that walking is key in fighting childhood
NEXT week is Walk to School Week and Torridge District Council is urging parents and children in the area to take part.
Councillor Rose Lock, Lead member for health and leisure, said: "It is already established that walking is key in fighting childhood obesity, but it can also be beneficial to children in other ways, helping them to learn vital road safety skills, to interact with their environment and to become streetwise and develop independence."
Councillor Miranda Cox, the council's Lead member for the Biosphere, said: "Young children are often bundled from the front door to car door without the opportunity to get out on foot, to learn about road safety and to get to know their neighbourhood.
"Many people underestimate the time it takes to travel by car or public transport and overestimate how long it takes to walk.
You may also want to watch:
"By walking, children can be taught important road safety messages, feel part of their community and help their environment just a little bit by reducing their carbon footprint - an important lesson in today's world - and maybe spot different kinds of birds, insects and plants along the way."
For more information go to www.walktoschool.org.uk
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 4 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 5 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 6 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 10 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park