Tories retain Torridge and West Devon seat
GEOFFREY Cox has retained the Conservative seat in the Torridge and West Devon constituency. Mr Cox, who won the seat in 2005, received 25,230, a majority of 2,957 over Liberal Democrat candidate Adam Symons. The result – the last of the 649 seats contest
GEOFFREY Cox has retained the Conservative seat in the Torridge and West Devon constituency.
Mr Cox, who won the seat in 2005, received 25,230, a majority of 2,957 over Liberal Democrat candidate Adam Symons.
The result - the last of the 649 seats contested yesterday to be declared - was announced at the count in Holsworthy at around 4.30pm today.
There one remaining seat to be decided is Thirsk and Malton, where the election has been delayed until May 27 following the death of a candidate.
You may also want to watch:
UKIP's Robin Julian came third with 3,021 votes, while as in neighbouring constituency North Devon, Labour were pushed into fourth place with candidate Darren Jones polling 2,917.
The Green Party's Cathrine Simmons received 1,050 votes, while the BNP's Nick Baker attracted 766.
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 5 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 8 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 9 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 10 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
A total of 55,343 votes were cast from an electorate of 77,360, a turnout of 71.54 per cent.
Full Torridge and West Devon result:
Nick Baker, BNP - 766
Geoffrey Cox, Conservative - 25,230
Darren Jones, - 2,917
Robin Julian, UKIP - 3,021
Cathrine Simmons, Green Party - 1,050
Adam Symons, Liberal Democrat - 22,273