Top tennis star 'racially abused' in Barnstaple on eve on tournament
A TOP female tennis player says she was racially abused in Barnstaple on the eve of a prestigious tournament taking place in the town. Writing on Twitter, Former British number one Anne Keothavong said she was verbally abused outside the Royal and Fortesc
A TOP female tennis player says she was racially abused in Barnstaple on the eve of a prestigious tournament taking place in the town.
Writing on Twitter, Former British number one Anne Keothavong said she was verbally abused outside the Royal and Fortescue Hotel on Sunday night.
Keothavong, 27, said she was left "fuming and disgusted" by the alleged incident.
She added: "Just received a barrage of racial abuse from a group of guys as I walked from the car park to the hotel. I was on my own and completely out numbered. Gave a statement to the police, hoping CCTV will get them."
You may also want to watch:
London-born Keothavong is among five top-100 women players competing in the seven-day AEGON GB Pro-Series Open tournament which began at the Tarka Tennis Centre yesterday (Monday).
Police have confirmed that a 27-year-old woman from London has made an allegation of a racially aggravated incident.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
- 9 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 10 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
They said three men aged 20, 23, 25 had been arrested for the offence and for a separate shoplifting incident.
"Two have been released on police bail to return to Barnstaple police station on November 1; a third man was released with no further action taken," said a spokesperson.