Top performers at West Buckland Festival
THE West Buckland Festival this year takes place from September 10-13, a week earlier than in previous years but, as always, it is planned to coincide with the Harvest Festival celebrations in St Peter s Church. Most of the main events are held in the ch
THE West Buckland Festival this year takes place from September 10-13, a week earlier than in previous years but, as always, it is planned to coincide with the Harvest Festival celebrations in St Peter's Church.
Most of the main events are held in the church. Proceeds this year will go to Help for Heroes and St Peter's.
The Festival starts on the Friday evening with an art exhibition, which will be open throughout the weekend.
Also on the Friday evening, five of the most outstanding young musicians from Devon will provide a concert of classical music. The five musicians - Pip Ash (cello), Rebecca Betambeau (violin), Ellie Laugharne (soprano), Josh Price (trumpet) and Nika Shoot (piano) - will each give a solo performance accompanied by pianist Susan Steele. The concert starts at 7.30 and tickets (including refreshments) are �10 each.
You may also want to watch:
Saturday, September 12 features an evening of Jazz with jazz pianist and singer Ruth Applin accompanied by Josh Kemp, on saxophone.
After a short interval the evening will continue with the magical talent of Harry The Piano, described by Jonathan Ross as "the best pianist in the civilised world."
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
On the Sunday, there will be an Olde Tyme Music Hall in the church.The evening will be hosted by North Devon's own Barry Fenwick and will include the West Buckland School Jazz Group, Philip Parker on accordion and a rare local talent - the Strolling Players. Joining Barry Fenwick will be the modern day Marie Lloyd - Louise Lloyd - Harry The Piano, the Gentleman Juggler and many more including Marines from RMB Chivenor.
The well established West Buckland Festival Walk will be on the Saturday afternoon. Walkers, wearing sensible shoes, will meet outside East Buckland Church at 2.15 prepared for a two-hour walk. There will be a special Garden Party in the village on Sunday afternoon - 2 till 4.30 when visitors will have the chance to see many rare and unusual animals.
For tickets, call (01598) 760 426.