Time called on Barnstaple pub?
- Credit: Archant
Council recommended to approve plans for Borough Arms demolition.
PLANS to knock down a Barnstaple pub and replace it with housing are set to be debated by North Devon Council tomorrow (Wednesday).
Chichester Homes Developments hopes to demolish The Borough Arms at Forches to make way for a terrace of nine houses, two flats and 11 garages.
Councillors are being recommended to approve the plans subject to the agreement of contributions towards education and public open spaces.
A statement submitted by Shardelow Designs as part of the planning application states that the late 1950s pub closed last year after becoming ‘financially unviable’.
You may also want to watch:
But residents hoping to save the pub have submitted a petition in a bid to help safeguard its future.
One told the Gazette that they were exploring the possibility of launching a Community Right to Buy bid although there were no takers when the pub was put up for auction in 2012.
- 1 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 2 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 3 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 4 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 5 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 6 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 10 Plans to demolish and redevelop Barnstaple Civic Centre finally submitted
A report to members by planning officers said: “The development would result in limited impacts in terms of the loss of this community asset. Given the resulted limited impacts, it is concluded that the balance tips in favour of approval.”