Time and Tide conference at Landmark
THE North Devon Coast Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, has joined with the local archaeological society to organise a conference dedicated to the history and archaeology of the region s diverse land
THE North Devon Coast Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, has joined with the local archaeological society to organise a conference dedicated to the history and archaeology of the region's diverse landscapes.
Taking place on Saturday, October 24 between 9.30am - 4pm at the Landmark Theatre, Ilfracombe, Time and Tide is being organised by the North Devon Archaeological Society, which is also 50 years old this year.
It is one of a series of events highlighting the different aspects of life, culture, history and wildlife within the AONB during its golden anniversary year.
Linda Blanchard, North Devon AONB manager, will open the conference, which has been designed to appeal to both novice and professional archaeologists, as well as those with an interest in finding out more about the history and archaeology of North Devon. It is open to both society members and the general public.
You may also want to watch:
The five keynote speakers, introduced by the Archaeological Society chairman, Terry Green, will talk on themes ranging from environmental change in the Bristol Channel to the North Devon Coast in the Second World War. They include Devon County Council archaeologist, Frances Griffith; Vanessa Straker from English Heritage; Nicholas Orme, formerly of Exeter University; Peter Claughton, Exeter University and military historian Richard Bass.
To book a place send a cheque payable to NDAS/NDRA for �12 per person including buffet lunch (or �5 without lunch) to Margaret Reed, 58 Littabourne, Barnstaple, EX1 1PU together with your name, address, telephone number and email. Details and a booking form can also be found on www.ndas.org.uk. For information about the North Devon Coast AONB visit www.northdevon-aonb.org.uk.
- 1 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 4 Fashion store opened by North Devon Against Domestic Abuse
- 5 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 6 Coronavirus infection rate for North Devon is zero - no cases in a week
- 7 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 8 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 9 Have your say on the future of North Devon phone boxes
- 10 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton