Tidal tribulations for yacht at Combe Martin
Crew wakes up after anchoring overnight to discover the water has disappeared...
A second call out in 24 hours woke the crew of Ilfracombe RNLI early yesterday (Friday) morning.
Just before 5am a mayday was sent by the yacht Strider, her crew had anchored overnight in Combe Martin bay but awoke to find the yacht in the surf just metres from the rocks.
Both Ilfracombe lifeboats were sent to assist. Within seven minutes of the pagers being set off the crew of the inshore lifeboat Deborah brown II had launched, with the all-weather lifeboat The Spirit of Derbyshire close behind.
The crew of the yacht had managed to manoeuvre the vessel away from danger by themselves and headed out to sea as the lifeboats arrived. The inshore lifeboat crew helped to assess any damage to the yacht, with the all-weather lifeboat close by.
You may also want to watch:
Once the crew of the yacht and lifeboat were happy that no significant damage had happened, the yacht continued on its way to Cardiff.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 3 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 6 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 7 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 10 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park