Three peaks challenge for builders
A team of Torridge builders are to swap work boots for walking boots as they attempt to scale three mountains in 24 hours to raise money for the Children s Hospice. The 11 members of Hiax Limited are setting off on the arduous Three Peaks Challenge in May
A team of Torridge builders are to swap work boots for walking boots as they attempt to scale three mountains in 24 hours to raise money for the Children's Hospice.
The 11 members of Hiax Limited are setting off on the arduous Three Peaks Challenge in May, when they bid to climb the UK's highest mountains of Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon.
Between climbing, the challengers will have to drive without stopping from Scotland to the Lake District and then North Wales if they are to meet the 24 hour deadline.
Hiax owner Dave Chalmers said it was Matt Ayling who came up with the suggestion as the workers discussed a challenge they could undertake in the coming year.
You may also want to watch:
Also taking up the Three Peaks gauntlet will be Andy Cripps, Steve Tomlinson, Richard Davey, Anthony Heaman, Paul Manley, Marcus Lang, Syd Eastman, Roger Tucker and Shane Darwood.
"The next step was to choose a charity and we all agreed the Children's Hospice was the obvious one," said Dave.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 4 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
"The timing for the Three Peaks is very tight and we won't get a lot of sleep in two days, but we have been training out on Dartmoor and every weekend we have been out on the coastline as well, to build up a bit of stamina."
They will begin their challenge on Thursday, May 20 at 5pm and aim to finish by 5pm the next day. If you would like to sponsor the team, go to www.justgiving.com/hiax4kids.