Three peaks challenge for builders
A team of Torridge builders are to swap work boots for walking boots as they attempt to scale three mountains in 24 hours to raise money for the Children s Hospice. The 11 members of Hiax Limited are setting off on the arduous Three Peaks Challenge in May
A team of Torridge builders are to swap work boots for walking boots as they attempt to scale three mountains in 24 hours to raise money for the Children's Hospice.
The 11 members of Hiax Limited are setting off on the arduous Three Peaks Challenge in May, when they bid to climb the UK's highest mountains of Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon.
Between climbing, the challengers will have to drive without stopping from Scotland to the Lake District and then North Wales if they are to meet the 24 hour deadline.
Hiax owner Dave Chalmers said it was Matt Ayling who came up with the suggestion as the workers discussed a challenge they could undertake in the coming year.
You may also want to watch:
Also taking up the Three Peaks gauntlet will be Andy Cripps, Steve Tomlinson, Richard Davey, Anthony Heaman, Paul Manley, Marcus Lang, Syd Eastman, Roger Tucker and Shane Darwood.
"The next step was to choose a charity and we all agreed the Children's Hospice was the obvious one," said Dave.
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 3 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
"The timing for the Three Peaks is very tight and we won't get a lot of sleep in two days, but we have been training out on Dartmoor and every weekend we have been out on the coastline as well, to build up a bit of stamina."
They will begin their challenge on Thursday, May 20 at 5pm and aim to finish by 5pm the next day. If you would like to sponsor the team, go to www.justgiving.com/hiax4kids.