Thousands sign organ donor register in North Devon
- Credit: Archant
Potential donors join campaign as Barnstaple teen transplant recipient takes on life with new lungs.
THOUSANDS of people in North Devon have signed the UK Organ Donor Register in the last 18 months.
According to NHS figures, 3,336 people joined the register since the Gazette first reported news of Barnstaple teenager Katie Gammon’s wait for a double lung transplant in October 2012 – an increase of six per cent.
Katie, 15, had a life saving transplant in August last year but continues to campaign to promote organ donation. Her on-line blog has had nearly 54,000 page views.
There are currently 17 people awaiting organ donation in North Devon and Torridge and so far this year there have been eight transplants.
As of March 5, 57,374 people in North Devon and Torridge had signed the register.
Katie said: It’s great that so many people are signing the organ donor register – having a lung transplant is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s still quite a battle but my lungs are now functioning at 90 per cent and I’ve been really well.
“Life is really good and I can do everything except run; I’m back at school and am studying for my GCSE exams in six weeks.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 9 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 10 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
“I’m looking forward to going on holiday with my friends and am hoping to take part in the British Transplant Games at Bolton in August – it’ll mark the first anniversary since I had my transplant.”
It was a record year for transplants in England last year – 2,881 patients received transplants and the number of people donating organs rose by 12 per cent on the previous year from 984 to 1,103.
To join the NHS Organ Donor Register, visit www.organdonation.nhs.uk or call 0300 1232323.