Thermal camera finds missing man in undergrowth
THE Devon and Cornwall police helicopter was used to locate an elderly man who was reported missing in the Torrington area yesterday (Thursday) afternoon.
The helicopter assisted a search after the man, who has not been named, was reported missing by his family and the dog he had been walking was found running loose in the town.
As the weather conditions deteriorated, officers began a search.
The helicopter crew monitored the incident and went to the town from their base at police headquarters in Exeter.
Concentrating on the open areas around the town, the crew used thermal imaging, stabilised binoculars and a specialist camera to search the paths and river area leading away from the town.
You may also want to watch:
Using the helicopter’s thermal camera, they located the man in thick undergrowth and officers on the ground were guided to where he was found safe and well. The man was taken home by officers and reunited with his family.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 2 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 3 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 8 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 9 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 10 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge