Theatre’s a delight
I’ve not been to Chinnor Cement Works (‘April Fools’ Day?’, Opinion, July 11) so I had a look at the picture on Wikipedia.
Not very pretty I agree, but I have lived in Swanscombe in Kent which is near Dartford and Gravesend. If that sounds bad – it is!
Swanscombe is Blue Circle Cement country, and the town is surrounded on three sides by deep chalk quarries, and on the other by the main road and the cement factory. Everything is covered in chalk dust.
So I cannot agree with Lorna Davis that the Landmark Theatre is in that class.
It’s a beautiful modern building, delightfully incorporated into the landscape, rather than being a prominent blot on the landscape like many of the nearby buildings. As for the pregnant lady ... I’m just an outsider, and a Londoner to boot, so who’s interested in my views?
You may also want to watch:
But I do wonder if Mr Hirst has got Ilfracombe over a barrel?
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
- 9 Northam Murder: Expert says trail of clues link carer to the scene
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton