Theatre’s a delight
I’ve not been to Chinnor Cement Works (‘April Fools’ Day?’, Opinion, July 11) so I had a look at the picture on Wikipedia.
Not very pretty I agree, but I have lived in Swanscombe in Kent which is near Dartford and Gravesend. If that sounds bad – it is!
Swanscombe is Blue Circle Cement country, and the town is surrounded on three sides by deep chalk quarries, and on the other by the main road and the cement factory. Everything is covered in chalk dust.
So I cannot agree with Lorna Davis that the Landmark Theatre is in that class.
It’s a beautiful modern building, delightfully incorporated into the landscape, rather than being a prominent blot on the landscape like many of the nearby buildings. As for the pregnant lady ... I’m just an outsider, and a Londoner to boot, so who’s interested in my views?
You may also want to watch:
But I do wonder if Mr Hirst has got Ilfracombe over a barrel?
- 1 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 2 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 3 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 4 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 5 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 6 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 7 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 8 Barnstaple amateur rider achieves lifelong ambition
- 9 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 10 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford