The Wurzels will fly at Ilfracombe Birdman
Popular band will join the ranks of the aviators at South West Birdman this Sunday (July 29).
FLYING Wurzels are on the cards as the much-loved band prepare to chuck themselves off the Pier at Sunday’s South West Birdman spectacular in Ilfracombe.
The annual charity event once again promises a packed day of entertainment and live music, rounded off by the merry splashing of amateur aviators hurling themselves and their homemade flying machines into the sea.
Renowned West Country minstrels The Wurzels will be returning to the Ilfracombe Round Table event as headliners for a full programme of live music, but this year for the first time ever, some of their number plan to join the ranks of the birdmen too…
Intrepid keyboard player Louie Gribble and his hopeful co-pilot, Mark ‘Mendips’ Noton say they will be launching their pimped-up winged tractor ‘The DungSpreader 3,000 Turdbo’ in a bid for the first Wurzel flight.
They have even recorded a new track, ‘The Wurzels DungSpreader Birdman Anthem’ and will be bidding to raise money for the Progressive Supra Nuclear Palsy Association (PSPA) which works for those with the degenerative condition PSP.
Gates open at 10.30am on Sunday and there is plenty for all ages to enjoy throughout the day, including the grunt and grind of the North Devon’s Toughest Town Competition, plus the live finals of Birdman’s Got Talent 2012, as well as fairground attractions, stalls and refreshments.
- 1 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 2 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 3 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 4 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 5 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 6 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 7 RGB's North Devon branches helping others this Christmas
- 8 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 9 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
- 10 North Devon MP encourages community to go 'one step greener'
Visit www.southwestbirdman.co.uk to find out more and listen to The Wurzels new DungSpreader Birdman Anthem on YouTube via www.northdevongazette.co.uk.