The right tool gets Lions roaring
New community tool sharing scheme run by Brandon Hire helps school garden get ready for the autumn
BARNSTAPLE Lions Club got a helping hand finding the right tool for the job to clear Bishops Tawton Primary School’s “wild garden” ready for the new school year.
Volunteers were able to cut back overgrown trees and cleared bushes at the school with the help of a chipper from a local tool share initiative run by Barnstaple-based Brandon Hire.
The scheme offers free use of tools for community groups working on local projects.
Organiser Andy Shiner said: “About four years ago the school decided that the best use to put the spare piece of land at the top end of its playing field was to have it cleared and turn it into a wild garden to encourage wild flora and fauna, butterflies and bees. Since then it’s got a bit overgrown.
You may also want to watch:
“Barnstaple Lions wanted to get in there and help restore it to its former glory and provide a place where the children can observe wildlife safely again.
“Brandon was brilliant lending us the chipper – it made a huge difference to the project.”
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Exhibition celebrates North Devon in 100 objects
Ann Ryan from Brandon went along to view the School Lane project and said: “I’m delighted we were able to help the volunteers under our Tool Share scheme to clear this area for the children to enjoy.
“Often the right tools for the job really can save the day!”
To find out more, organisations that feel they may benefit from the scheme should state what tools they need and why and send contact details to Brandon Hire Tool Share, c/o Vital, 14a Clarendon Avenue, Leamington Spa, CV32 5PZ, or email email@example.com.