The Real McCaf is 15
Ilfracombe youth project marks one and a half decades in the town.
THE Real McCaf in Ilfracombe has just celebrated its 15th birthday.
The venue on the seafront opened its doors in 1997 to young people as a safe place to meet, socialise, receive support and advice from qualified youth workers or to simply hang out.
The youth workers are supported by a number of volunteers, and a senior member team made up of young people, who play an active role in the day to day running of the caf�.
The project was created on the premises of an old caf� whose lease had expired and got off the ground thanks to the efforts of young people, youth workers, the police, Ilfracombe College staff, and local councillors.
You may also want to watch:
Dannie Fuller has been using The Real McCaf for six years and said: “The caf� has given me a safe and friendly place to meet my friends, and to talk to youth workers when I’ve needed advice or information on issues concerning me. They have always been very supportive and non-judgemental.
“As a senior member, and chairperson I am involved in the day to day running, and this has helped me build my self-esteem and has given me the confidence to face new challenges.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
Local County Councillor Geoff Fowler said: “This venue has become a focal point for so many youngsters, where they can chill out, meet friends and learn about different aspects of life and growing up. For many it has given them the self belief that they have something real to offer in the community.”
The Real McCaf is open Wednesdays from 4-6pm and Fridays from 6-9pm.