The Real McCaf is 15
Ilfracombe youth project marks one and a half decades in the town.
THE Real McCaf in Ilfracombe has just celebrated its 15th birthday.
The venue on the seafront opened its doors in 1997 to young people as a safe place to meet, socialise, receive support and advice from qualified youth workers or to simply hang out.
The youth workers are supported by a number of volunteers, and a senior member team made up of young people, who play an active role in the day to day running of the caf�.
The project was created on the premises of an old caf� whose lease had expired and got off the ground thanks to the efforts of young people, youth workers, the police, Ilfracombe College staff, and local councillors.
You may also want to watch:
Dannie Fuller has been using The Real McCaf for six years and said: “The caf� has given me a safe and friendly place to meet my friends, and to talk to youth workers when I’ve needed advice or information on issues concerning me. They have always been very supportive and non-judgemental.
“As a senior member, and chairperson I am involved in the day to day running, and this has helped me build my self-esteem and has given me the confidence to face new challenges.”
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 8 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 9 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 10 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
Local County Councillor Geoff Fowler said: “This venue has become a focal point for so many youngsters, where they can chill out, meet friends and learn about different aspects of life and growing up. For many it has given them the self belief that they have something real to offer in the community.”
The Real McCaf is open Wednesdays from 4-6pm and Fridays from 6-9pm.