The Real McCaf is 15
Ilfracombe youth project marks one and a half decades in the town.
THE Real McCaf in Ilfracombe has just celebrated its 15th birthday.
The venue on the seafront opened its doors in 1997 to young people as a safe place to meet, socialise, receive support and advice from qualified youth workers or to simply hang out.
The youth workers are supported by a number of volunteers, and a senior member team made up of young people, who play an active role in the day to day running of the caf�.
The project was created on the premises of an old caf� whose lease had expired and got off the ground thanks to the efforts of young people, youth workers, the police, Ilfracombe College staff, and local councillors.
Dannie Fuller has been using The Real McCaf for six years and said: “The caf� has given me a safe and friendly place to meet my friends, and to talk to youth workers when I’ve needed advice or information on issues concerning me. They have always been very supportive and non-judgemental.
“As a senior member, and chairperson I am involved in the day to day running, and this has helped me build my self-esteem and has given me the confidence to face new challenges.”
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 10 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
Local County Councillor Geoff Fowler said: “This venue has become a focal point for so many youngsters, where they can chill out, meet friends and learn about different aspects of life and growing up. For many it has given them the self belief that they have something real to offer in the community.”
The Real McCaf is open Wednesdays from 4-6pm and Fridays from 6-9pm.