The Incredibles do it for Chemo Appeal
- Credit: Archant
Barnstaple paramedic fighting leukaemia and a former colleague will take on the Superhero Skydive this month for new North Devon Chemo Unit.
A BARNSTAPLE paramedic who is battling leukaemia is preparing to jump out of an aeroplane at 15,000 feet to raise money for the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal.
Paul Down and former colleague Lisa Townsend will dress up as Mr and Mrs Incredible for the Superhero Skydive at Dunkeswell Airfield on Saturday, June 29.
They know better than most about the benefits a new chemotherapy and day treatment unit will bring to the community when it opens at North Devon District Hospital.
Not only do they deal with patients suffering from cancer, but both have had family members affected by the condition and Paul himself has leukaemia.
You may also want to watch:
“Skydiving has always been on my bucket list so the chance to jump and also raise money for the appeal seemed like an ideal opportunity,” said Paul, who works for the South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust.
“I understand as both a healthcare professional and as a patient the benefits a local chemotherapy unit will hold for the 5,000 cancer patients that are seen each year from our community.”
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
Paul regularly instructs health staff on Resuscitation Council (UK) courses run by the resuscitation team at NDDH.
Lisa worked with him for the ambulance service and is now a training facilitator in the NDDH resuscitation team.
She added: “My father used to have to take several trips a week to Exeter for his chemotherapy so I am well aware of how the new chemotherapy unit will make a difference.
“I know Paul will want to play down how ill he has been in the past but seeing him and other family and friends affected makes me realise we are jumping for a great cause.”
Batman, Batwoman and Wonder Woman are among the other superheroes to have signed up for the event, which is being organised by Skydive UK.
To join the merry band of superheroes or sponsor one, visit www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/fundraising or call the fundraising team on 01271 311772. To sponsor Paul and Lisa, visit www.justgiving.com/teams/pdyp-lt.