The first blogging Mayor goes online for Ilfracombe
THE Mayor of Ilfracombe has become the town s first mayoral blogger by publishing an online diary. Councillor Philip Webb, installed as Mayor in May, is providing an up-to-date chronicle of all the functions and events he attends on behalf of the town,
THE Mayor of Ilfracombe has become the town's first "mayoral blogger" by publishing an online diary.
Councillor Philip Webb, installed as Mayor in May, is providing an up-to-date chronicle of all the functions and events he attends on behalf of the town, as well as meetings on council business.
The Mayor's Blog can be found at www.theilfracombecentre.co.uk and clicking so far describes charity events, support of schoolchildren's activities and meeting to discuss litter in the town.
"A very important responsibility of being Mayor is communicating with the people of Ilfracombe," said Mr Webb.
You may also want to watch:
"The council has always adopted a strong communication policy and we're now using the latest technology to take it a stage further. "Before becoming a councillor I had little idea of what the Mayor did for the town, but now it's easier than ever to find out. Everyone can now see exactly what the Mayor does by checking the blog, which will be updated several times a week."
Since it went online, the council website has been well used by the community, with a popular feature being the online forum. Here, the public can discuss matters relating to Ilfracombe and there are currently 62 topics being debated.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 5 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 6 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 7 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 8 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 9 New series of Devon and Cornwall focuses on the Ilfracombe coastline
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
"Communication has moved on a pace in recent years, forums and blogs are just another way of keeping us engaged with the community, especially our younger residents," added Mr Webb.