The finer details of the new North Devon coalition agreement
The Lib Dems and independents set out there aims for the next four years
Below are the main points of the Co-operation Agreement between Liberal Democrat and independent members to form an administration to run North Devon Council from 2011-2015.
It was signed on Wednesday by councillors Rodney Cann, Mike Edmunds, Brian Greenslade and Malcolm Prowse as the heads of their respective groups.
1. None of the participating members are bound by the agreement to support every item of business brought forward but are asked to advise the partners in advance if they are unable to support a particular policy position.
2. The signatories will meet as and when required to ensure the agenda of the council is progressed in a stable and businesslike manner.
You may also want to watch:
3. The following policy areas be taken forward and developed:
a) Improve the supply of affordable housing in the district.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 9 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
b) Give environmental policies greater priority, especially improving recycling rates.
c) NDC to take a greater role in economic regeneration.
d) Build the capacity of North Devon Council working with partners when and where appropriate.
e) Work on the overheads of the council to release resources for keeping council tax down and improving services to the public.
f) Make North Devon Council more visible to the community.
g) Improve the standing of, and communications with, all elected members of the council through a designated all group Procedures Working Party which will deal with all member related issues, constitutional matters and the operation of internal procedures.