‘The apocalypse’ for Barnstaple multi storey
Demolition of Queen Street car park running to schedule.
A “post apocalyptic” appearance has transformed Queen Street in Barnstaple as work progresses on the demolition of the multi storey car park.
North Devon Council has reported good progress and is now eight weeks into the 12 week project, which the council says is running on time and to schedule.
It is the first phase of the council’s wider plans to redevelop the Queen Street and Bear Street area.
The decaying concrete multi storey has been on the agenda for several years, after it was discovered sections of concrete were coming away from the building, with metal beams and ties underneath beginning to deteriorate.
You may also want to watch:
The second stage, to transform the existing ground floor space to create a temporary split-level car park is expected to take a further six weeks.
The council has said the new-look car park should be open by July.
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 5 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 8 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 9 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon