‘The apocalypse’ for Barnstaple multi storey
Demolition of Queen Street car park running to schedule.
A “post apocalyptic” appearance has transformed Queen Street in Barnstaple as work progresses on the demolition of the multi storey car park.
North Devon Council has reported good progress and is now eight weeks into the 12 week project, which the council says is running on time and to schedule.
It is the first phase of the council’s wider plans to redevelop the Queen Street and Bear Street area.
The decaying concrete multi storey has been on the agenda for several years, after it was discovered sections of concrete were coming away from the building, with metal beams and ties underneath beginning to deteriorate.
You may also want to watch:
The second stage, to transform the existing ground floor space to create a temporary split-level car park is expected to take a further six weeks.
The council has said the new-look car park should be open by July.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 5 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 9 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021