Thatch blaze destroys Ashreigney house
- Credit: Archant
Seven fire crews tackle Sunday blaze at two storey home.
A two storey thatched house and two outbuildings at Ashreigney were gutted by fire yesterday (Sunday).
Fire fighters from seven stations across the area were called to the scene just after 11am after a workshop fire spread to an adjoining thatched roof.
Crews from Chulmleigh, Hatherleigh and Torrington were first in attendance, followed by more pumps from South Molton, Barnstaple, North Tawton and Bideford, plus the incident command unit from Ilfracombe and the aerial ladder platform and water carrier from Barnstaple.
After initial salvage work the crews stripped the burning thatch from the roof and into the afternoon six relief crews from Crediton, Ilfracombe, Woolacombe, Lynton, Tiverton and Bampton were called out.
You may also want to watch:
The British Red Cross and Salvation Army were on hand to provide support and welfare services.
After seven hours the incident was declared under control, leaving the entire roof and first floor of the dwelling destroyed by fire, with the rest of the property suffering form smoke and water damage.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 9 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 10 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
Fire crews stayed on site to damp down any hot spots. The cause of the blaze is believed to be accidental.