Thatch blaze destroys Ashreigney house
- Credit: Archant
Seven fire crews tackle Sunday blaze at two storey home.
A two storey thatched house and two outbuildings at Ashreigney were gutted by fire yesterday (Sunday).
Fire fighters from seven stations across the area were called to the scene just after 11am after a workshop fire spread to an adjoining thatched roof.
Crews from Chulmleigh, Hatherleigh and Torrington were first in attendance, followed by more pumps from South Molton, Barnstaple, North Tawton and Bideford, plus the incident command unit from Ilfracombe and the aerial ladder platform and water carrier from Barnstaple.
After initial salvage work the crews stripped the burning thatch from the roof and into the afternoon six relief crews from Crediton, Ilfracombe, Woolacombe, Lynton, Tiverton and Bampton were called out.
You may also want to watch:
The British Red Cross and Salvation Army were on hand to provide support and welfare services.
After seven hours the incident was declared under control, leaving the entire roof and first floor of the dwelling destroyed by fire, with the rest of the property suffering form smoke and water damage.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 3 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 6 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 7 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 8 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
Fire crews stayed on site to damp down any hot spots. The cause of the blaze is believed to be accidental.