Tesco confirms starting work on Westward Ho! site
- Credit: Archant
Workmen wearing Tesco branding and blue and red-coloured fencing as superstore says it is ‘making improvements’ to building.
tesco has confirmed it has begun work on the Sunshine Leisure café and amusement arcade in Westward Ho!
Blue and red coloured fencing – in line with the Tesco branding colours – appeared around the site this week.
There have also been sightings of workmen wearing high visibility jackets with the Tesco logo on. A Tesco spokesman confirmed the company was making improvements to the roof of the building and doing some internal weeks.
“This will take around two weeks so the arcade will reopen for business before Easter,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Last year, residents and business owners mounted a campaign against the superstore coming to the village.
The spokesman added: “We would like an Express to serve shoppers alongside the arcade.
- 1 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 2 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 9 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
“Plans are moving forward and we hope to submit some proposals to the council shortly.
“We remain confident that the store will prove popular and there will be a lot of interest in the local jobs on offer.”