Teenagers’ tribute to young friend
NEARLY 200 young people gathered at Westward Ho! on Saturday afternoon in a moving memorial to a friend, who died in tragic circumstances earlier that week.
Sam Hudson, 16, was airlifted from his home in Bideford to the North Devon District Hospital the previous Saturday, but died three days later in hospital.
Friends of the former Bideford College student paid tributes on the Facebook social network and a move to gather at Westward Ho! as a memorial to the keen young surfer was started by friend Abi Whybrow, 16.
Despite blustery winds and showers, teenagers were joined by some parents and older friends as they met at Westward Ho! slipway before making their way to the pebbleridge to lay flowers and to launch balloons.
Abi said: “He was just such a good friend and we wanted to give him something back. He was a popular young man who was loved by everyone.”
You may also want to watch:
An inquest has been opened and adjourned to a date to be set.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 6 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 7 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 10 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home