Teenagers’ tribute to young friend
NEARLY 200 young people gathered at Westward Ho! on Saturday afternoon in a moving memorial to a friend, who died in tragic circumstances earlier that week.
Sam Hudson, 16, was airlifted from his home in Bideford to the North Devon District Hospital the previous Saturday, but died three days later in hospital.
Friends of the former Bideford College student paid tributes on the Facebook social network and a move to gather at Westward Ho! as a memorial to the keen young surfer was started by friend Abi Whybrow, 16.
Despite blustery winds and showers, teenagers were joined by some parents and older friends as they met at Westward Ho! slipway before making their way to the pebbleridge to lay flowers and to launch balloons.
Abi said: “He was just such a good friend and we wanted to give him something back. He was a popular young man who was loved by everyone.”
You may also want to watch:
An inquest has been opened and adjourned to a date to be set.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 5 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 10 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online