Teenager had drugs stuffed down tracksuit bottoms
- Credit: Archant
The 19-year-old from Barnstaple pleaded guilty to possessing £135 worth of cannabis.
A 19-year-old who was found with £135 worth of cannabis stuffed down the front of his tracksuit bottoms has been given a conditional discharge.
Kai Roach, of Warwick Terrace, Barnstaple, appeared before North Devon Magistrates’ Court on Friday and pleaded guilty to possession of 13.59g of cannabis.
Police officers on mobile patrol discovered the drugs after spotting a black BMW parked in a lay by on March 11 at around 11pm.
The window was open and police smelt cannabis, so asked Roach if he had anything on him.
You may also want to watch:
He replied he had some drugs down the front of his trousers and was arrested and taken to the police station in Barnstaple.
In interview Roach, who has two previous convictions for drug offences, said he smoked cannabis on a daily basis and the drugs were for his own personal use.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
- 8 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 9 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 10 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
Zara Svensson, defending, said Roach had thought possession of cannabis was the sort of offence he would just receive a warning for.
“He has now been disabused of this idea,” said Miss Svensson.
Magistrates sentenced Roach to a nine month conditional discharge and ordered him to pay a £15 victim surcharge.
Paul Cooper, chairman of the bench, told him: “You’ve got to go live the life of an angel now.”