Teenager dies after A361 crash
The 18-year-old died in hospital following the two-vehicle collision on Thursday.
A TEENAGER injured in a crash on the A361 North Devon Link Road on Thursday has died in hospital over the weekend.
Craig Sankey, 18, from Coventry was taken to North Devon District Hospital following the collision but died on Saturday.
Mr Sankey was driving a silver Renault Clio when it collided with a white VW Transporter van between Aller Cross and West Buckland shortly before 6pm.
The van driver was also taken to North Devon District Hospital with a possible fractured sternum and whiplash injuries.
You may also want to watch:
An off duty special constable stopped to assist and managed to put out a small fire in the Renault with a hand held fire extinguisher.
An eyewitness travelling two cars behind the incident told the Gazette: “All I saw was flying debris in front of me and we all skidded to a halt.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 5 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 9 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
“I went over to see if everyone was alright or if they needed help but there were a few people there already helping.
“The police arrived very quickly as did the fire brigade and ambulance.”
The road was closed for seven-and-a-half hours while collision investigators completed their investigation and local diversions were put in place.
Police are appealing for any witnesses to contact them on 101 quoting reference 611 070612.