Teenager arrested on suspicion of Barnstaple swastika rampage
AN 18-year-old local man has been arrested in connection with a tidal wave of offensive swastika graffiti that appeared throughout Barnstaple overnight. A series of swastikas have been painted on the roundabout stones at the bottom of Sticklepath Hill as
AN 18-year-old local man has been arrested in connection with a tidal wave of offensive swastika graffiti that appeared throughout Barnstaple overnight.
A series of swastikas have been painted on the roundabout stones at the bottom of Sticklepath Hill as well as all over town in what appears to be a rampage of graffiti, together with racist hate slogans daubed on a local church.
Within the last hour police have taken a suspect into custody and are continuing to check CCTV footage for evidence.
Sergeant Paul Jones, Neighbourhood Team Leader for Barnstaple, said the emblems, once the symbol of the hated Nazi party, were also scattered along the Strand on property and near the telephone kiosks as well as on underpasses and walls around the town. Police were initially called out to the roundabout stones just after 10.20pm last night (Thursday.)
You may also want to watch:
"A local church has also been graffitied with particularly offensive remarks," he said.
"In 21 years of policing I have never seen graffiti of this scale and this offence. I understand there's a lot of shock and anger out there but we want to move to reassure people we are dealing with this robustly and looking to resolve the situation.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 7 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 8 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
"We are working closely with our colleagues at Barnstaple CCTV and have identified one suspected offender.
"I still fully expect we are going to get more reports of graffiti we haven't found yet and would ask anyone who sees any to report it to us on 08452 777444.