Teenager arrested following pub and bungalow fires
Double disaster averted by fire fighters tackling early morning Barnstaple blazes
A TEENAGER has been arrested on suspicion of arson following a fire at a Barnstaple pub.
The 19-year-old suspect, from Barnstaple, has also been quizzed over a car fire on a driveway close to the Wrey Arms pub at Sticklepath.
He has been released on police bail until November 21.
Fire fighters were scrambled to both incidents in the early hours of Saturday morning.
You may also want to watch:
Fire at the pub is thought to have spread from a wheelie bin to the rear of the building and kitchen area at around 2am.
Crews estimate that around five per cent of the building was damaged by fire and the remainder slightly smoke logged.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 3 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 4 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 5 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 6 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 9 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 10 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
Simon Turner head barman at the Wrey Arms said the alarm was raised by on off-duty fire officer who was walking past the pub.
“The kitchen is a complete write-off but the pub is still open for drinks,” he said.
“Hopefully we’ll be able to re-open the kitchen within a few weeks.”
Meanwhile, fire fighters were joined by colleagues from Braunton to tackle a separate incident at a detached bungalow in Old Sticklepath Hill at around 2.30am.
On arrival, flames from a car fire on the driveway had spread to a second vehicle and to the eaves of the building.
Crews used three hose reel jets, one covering jet, thermal imaging camera, ladders and breathing apparatus to deal with the incident.
They estimate that around 15 per cent of the bungalow and loft space was severely damaged by fire.
The causes of both fires are under investigation.