Teenage fundraiser reaches John O’Groats
A young man has raised just under �1,000 to support his Mum who is waiting for a lung transplant.
A TEENAGER from Barnstaple has conquered a 2,000 mile motorbike trip and raised just under a grand to support his sick Mum.
In February, the Gazette told the story of Tom Phillips, who was fundraising for the charity supporting his mother, Debbie Phillips, as she awaited a lung transplant.
Tom, 19, and his friend Sam Rosevear managed to conquer the infamous journey on 125cc motorbikes, but it wasn’t without a few setbacks.
Tom said: “On the first day we got 100 miles down the road from Land’s End before we had to turn back because Sam’s bike broke.
You may also want to watch:
“We fixed it at his house in Cornwall and made it to my house in Barnstaple, but the second day we only managed three miles before my bike broke.
“We ended up travelling for thirteen hours in the rain to make up the time, but the rest of the journey was amazing and it was worth it in the end.”
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 4 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 7 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 8 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 9 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 10 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
Tom has so far managed to raise just under �1,000 for British Lung Foundation, but has already got a taste for his next adventure.
Debbie is still awaiting a lung transplant due to suffering from alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency and emphysema, and Tom hopes to continue fundraising for the charity.
He said: “I am going to do a sky dive on July 8 to continue raising money for the BLF, and would love it if anyone would sponsor me.”
Anyone wishing to make a donation can click the link in the top right of the page.